Search with Google

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Amritsar

Picture from Golden Temple 2006

Amritsar is located in the northwest part of India in the State of Punjab, 32 miles (51 km) east of Lahore, Pakistan. Name Amritsar derives from AmÅ—it-sarovar meaning "The Pool of the Nectar of Immortality".
It is home to beautiful and most spiritual place I have ever been - the Harimandir Sahib, also known as the Golden Temple, and is the spiritual and cultural centre of the Sikh religion.

This important sikh shrine attracts more visitors than the Taj Mahal in Agra .I've been an I'd seen Taj Mahal and I will say it wasn't what I was expecting at all - I'm not in love with it. Looks better on pictures.

Golden Temple is the number one destination for non-resident Indians (NRI) in the whole of India. It is also known for the unfortunate incidents of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre while under British Rule (1919) and Operation Bluestar in (1984) under the Late Prime Minsiter Indira Gandhi.

If you are in Amritsar I suggest spending whole day there.

LOVE YOU AMRITSAR.

No comments: